Sunday, November 13, 2016

Flight Attendant Costume and Pillbox Hat Tutorial


I haven't outgrown my love of dressing up for Halloween. Every year, I look for some excuse to dress up. This year, I planned a date night for Blake and I that included a trolley tour to haunted places around town, and the tour company encouraged costumes!

As much as I love dressing up, I'm not a fan of spending a lot on something I'm going to wear for a few short hours. So, I usually try to pull together a costume made mainly of things I already down. This year that costume was a flight attendant. I had the dress, the shoes and the aircrew pin (thank you husband who once flew around in helicopters for a living!). What I needed was a scarf (super cheap to buy) and a hat (not so cheap to buy). I decided to see if I could make one.

It wouldn't have passed Pan Am uniform inspection, but it did impress a couple of ladies on the tour with us, so I'm considering it a success! Oh, and it only cost $5 to make.

Here's what I needed to make it:
  • 1 piece of foam that is 18 inches long
  •  2 pieces of felt in the color you want your hat to be
  • Tacky Glue
  • Thread in the color of your hat
  • Thick elastic
  • Button for embellishment 

Step 1: Cut a strip of foam that is 18 inches long and 2 1/2 include wide. Connect the ends together with a piece of elastic. I fitted it to my head to get the elastic the right size for me and would stay on my head. I then stapled it to the foam.


Step 2: Cut pieces of felt that is 18 1/2 inches long and 3 1/2 includes wide. A couple of notes: 1) I actually used two pieces of felt that were about 10 inches long. I had them overlap on the sides. 2) If I did it again, I would make the felt wider to make it easier to glue. I think four inches would be about right. Using Tacky Glue, glue the foam pieces to the middle of your felt. Let it set to dry.



Step 4: Fold the felt over the edge of the foam and glue it into place. I used clothes pins to keep it in place while it dried and worked in sections instead of doing it all at once.


Step 5: Next came making the top. I laid the hat in the middle of a piece of felt and traced around it, making a circle that was about an 1 inch wider than the hat. I put it inside the hat and glued it in just a few places to hold it in place. Once dry, I stitched around the edge between the top and sides of the hat. It was just a quick, messy whip stitch.


 Step 6: I sewed a button on one of the seams from the overlapping pieces of felt for a little embellishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...