Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Advent Wreath Tradition with Reflection and Prayer Guide



Growing up the Advent wreath was always part of our pre-Christmas traditions with a prominent place in the middle of our dining room table. I wanted to start the same tradition with my family, so I made an Advent wreath this year. I tinted small canning jars purple and rose and arranged them on a cake plate with some greenery. 

I also tried to find some history on the Advent wreath. The beginnings of the Advent wreath are uncertain. However, it is known that Christians adapted the tradition by the Middle Ages. While the history was a little unclear, I discovered a lot about the various parts of the wreath symbolize that I'd forgotten over the years, including:
  • Circular shape: With no beginning or end, the circle symbolizes God’s unending love for us.
  • Four candles: The four candles symbolize the 4,000 years (1,000 years for each candle) from Adam and Eve to Jesus' birth.
  • Evergreens: Signify continuous life.
  • Purple candles: Reminders that this should be a time of prayer and preparation.
  • Rose candle: Rejoicing that the light has won out over darkness with more candles lit than not lit (3 vs. 1).
Each Sunday in the four weeks leading up to Christmas, an additional candle is lit on the wreath. I created a "cheat sheet" with Bible verses, prayers and symbolism to reflect on as I light each candle. I thought I'd share it with others who are interested in starting a tradition of their own. 



Download a printable Advent Wreath guide

Related Posts:
http://livingpractically.blogspot.com/2016/11/traveling-nativity-christmas-countdown.html

 
http://livingpractically.blogspot.com/2015/12/5-ways-to-celebrate-st-nicholas-day.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...