I also tried to find some history on the Advent wreath. The beginnings of the Advent wreath are uncertain. However, it is known that Christians adapted the tradition by the Middle Ages. While the history was a little unclear, I discovered a lot about the various parts of the wreath symbolize that I'd forgotten over the years, including:
- Circular shape: With no beginning or end, the circle symbolizes God’s unending love for us.
- Four candles: The four candles symbolize the 4,000 years (1,000 years for each candle) from Adam and Eve to Jesus' birth.
- Evergreens: Signify continuous life.
- Purple candles: Reminders that this should be a time of prayer and preparation.
- Rose candle: Rejoicing that the light has won out over darkness with more candles lit than not lit (3 vs. 1).
Download a printable Advent Wreath guide