Friday, May 18, 2012

Magnetic Photo or Message Strip Tutorial

Like many office workers, I spend my 9 to 5 in the land of cubicles. I have to admit, cube life is not nearly as bad as I anticipated, but the amount of gray/tan in cubicle land is a little drab. My "cubicle neighbor" recently celebrated her one-year anniversary at work, and I wanted to make her something brighten up her cubicle. After a little brainstorming, I came up with this twist on the popular magnetic photo/message boards.

Turns out that a metal ruler is the perfect fit for the metal strip that run along the top of most cubes. And my cube neighbor is having a baby soon so she'll need extra space for photos!


Photobucket 

Here is how I made it in case you want to give someone a little bling for their cube. 

What you need
  • Metal ruler
  • Strip of fabric
  • Electrical tape
  • 11 magnets
  • Spray adhesive
  • Super glue
  • Buttons or other "decor" for magnets
How to do it

Cut a strip of fabric that is twice as wide as your ruler and an inch longer than your ruler.

Photobucket


Spray the wrong side of your fabric with spray adhesive and place the ruler metal side down in the middle of the fabric strip.

Photobucket


Wrap the back of the ruler like a gift.

Photobucket


Cover the back with electrical tape and attached magnet with super glue. You could also use a magnetic strip in place of the tape and round magnets. However, I couldn't find magnetic tape that was strong enough.

Photobucket


Dress up the magnets for the front of the strip. I added buttons to the top of the magents with super glue. You could also purchase some fun magnets.



You're finished!

Photobucket 

I'm lucky enough to have the day off to recover from a great cookout we had last night and prepare for our 80s party tonight. After I finish up here, I'm headed to the basement to finish up the decorations. Check out the centerpieces I made. Watch for a tutorial soon!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding. I noticed it when I was visiting cube-ville the other day. Enjoy your day off and have fun at your 80s party.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...