Monday, February 20, 2012

Hard Shell Chocolate Sauce

In the ice cream cake I made yesterday, I used a homemade recipe for the magic shell chocolate sauce, which hardens and forms a shell when you pour it on ice cream. It is surprisingly easy to make, and as a fan of the DQ dip cone, I'm digging it!

Photobucket

Hard Shell Chocolate Sauce
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut oil

Place in a glass bowl and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Let sit for 30 seconds and stir until syrupy. Pour into a plastic storage container and once cool, store in the refrigerator. When you're ready to use, put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, spoon onto the top of your ice cream and it will form a hard shell on your ice cream.

So far, I've only tried it on ice cream, but my mom has a friend who tops chocolate pudding pie with the Magic Shell Ice Cream topping. I'm hoping to try that soon!

Recipe originally found at Skip To My Lou.

3 comments:

  1. Wonder how they'd set on cake pops? I can never get the outer coating to work....maybe this is the answer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what makes the coating harden is the cold ice cream so you'd probably have to freeze your cake pops before dipping. If you try it, please let me know how it works because I too struggle with the candy coating when I make cake pops!

      Delete
  2. who knew it could be that easy? yummy! thanks for sharing, Maria

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...