Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cooking with Cubes

Last night Blake and I celebrated Valentine's Day by making dinner at home and hanging out on the couch watching things like Teen Mom. We were reflecting on how our romance level has went way down hill. A mere four years ago, we went on an overnight getaway to Annapolis and had dinner at a fancy French restaurant. Oh well, that's life I guess.

Now moving on with ice week. Tonight I'm talking about using "ice cubes" to aid your cooking. I first discovered this tip when I was trying to use up cilantro. You know how that goes, you buy a bunch for a recipe and use a 1/4 of it. Then you put it in your fridge with the hope of using it, but lets face it, it usually ends up in the garbage.

This is no longer an issue for me. I now chop up the cilantro and put it into ice cube trays, over it with water and put it in the freezer. Once frozen, I pop them out and store them in a freezer bag. When a recipe calls for cilantro, I just go to the freezer, take out what I need and put it into my pan. As a bonus, they are pre-measured! Each cube is approximately 1 Tbls.

Photobucket

I've since discovered that this works with almost any herb as well as:
  • Chopped onions
  • Fresh lemon juice
  • Egg whites
  • Wine
  • Tomatoe paste

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've done it with pesto before, but never just with herbs and water. I'll have to try this!
    Cheers!
    Meri
    http://merigoesround.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I hate throwing away cilantro, but I never have leftover wine. Saw you on Pinterest with your lemon bars. Had to pop over and can't leave. Love all your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This also works with bell peppers. My hubby loves them but since I cannot stand them, we don't tend to use up an entire pepper before it would go bad. Just dice up the leftovers and freeze - then he can toss them in his omelet or his half of our homemade pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...