Sunday, February 19, 2012

Cookies and Fudge Ice Cream Cake

My youngest brother was home from college this weekend and came to check out our new house. As his birthday is this upcoming week, I wanted to make him a cake. Actually, I wanted to make him an entire meal, but he insisted on eating at a local BBQ joint that he craves when he's in Fargo. So, I was left to just handle the cake.

I've always wanted to try an ice cream cake, and I saw this as my ideal opportunity. Families are great for trying new things on because you know they will be honest and if you mess it up, they have to love you anyways. Fortunately, I'm putting this in the success category, and as a bonus, it was actually quite easy to make.


Cookies and Fudge Ice Cream Cake
1/4 gallon chocolate ice cream
1/4 gallon vanilla ice cream
Chocolate sandwich cookies (about 2/3 package of Oreos)
Hot fudge ice cream topping
Magic shell ice cream topping (check out my recipe for homemade magic shell ice cream topping)
Freezer paper

Start by crushing up your cookies and setting the ice cream on the counter to let it soften a bit. Set aside the cookies and line a bread pan with freezer paper the waxy side facing inward.  Place the chocolate ice cream into the bottom of the pan and smooth it out.

Next, spread a layer of fudge sauce over the ice cream. To make this easier, use a jar of sauce that is at room temperature. However, don't warm it up in the microwave. That will melt the ice cream making kind of a mess. Placing small spoonfuls across the ice cream layer and use a knife to spread it worked best for me.

Over the fudge sauce with half of the cookies. Put the vanilla ice cream on top of the cookie layer. Mix the remaining cookies with 2 Tbls. of fudge sauce. If the cookie crumbs are still dry and not sticking together, add more fudge sauce. Place the mixture on top of the vanilla ice cream and press it in firmly. Freeze until ready to serve.

When it's ready to serve, flip the pan upside down onto a plate and peel off the freezer paper. Cover with magic shell ice cream topping.

In other news, I thought I'd share this picture of our cat after he discovered the fish tank in my office this morning:


Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This recipe made me fall in love with your blog! This is amazing and impressed my dinner guests! And thanks for the hardening chocolate recipe ... I've found myself covering everything in chocolate :) Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooo! Looks so yummy! And with the hard chocolate shell on top, DIVINE! Must try as soon as hubs goes out of town. He's dieting and doing P90x and I have to sneak my sweets.

    Tammi Schneiderman
    trh4581@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make a cake like this for my husband and I found this recipe tonight. It's such a coincidence that you posted this post last year - on his birthday! Now I know that I have to make it this year for him!! Thanks for the recipe - I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...