Saturday, October 29, 2011

Squash, Sausage and Black Bean Soup

I've been looking for a good pumpkin soup recipe for a really long time. My co-worker Alicia gave me a recipe from her sister a few weeks ago that I've been dying to try. Friday night was my chance, and on Thursday I was making sure I had all of the ingredients I needed, when my mom suggested I use squash. My mom has long used squash and pumpkin interchangeably, and I think I've had more squash pies under the disguise of pumpkin pie than I'll ever know.

So Friday night I started in on my soup making the necessary adjustments to replace canned pumpkin with squash. All-in-all it turned out pretty well!

Photobucket

Squash, Sausage and Black Bean Soup
1 medium-sized butternut squash
1-14.5 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp. chicken flavoring
1 lb. spicy sausage
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1-15 oz. can black beans
1/2 cup dried milk
1 cup milk
Sour cream
  1.  Wash and peel squash. Cut into 1-inch squares and place into a pot with a can of chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender.
  2. While the squash is cooking, brown the sausage and drain the sausage in a strainer.
  3. Remove the squash from the broth using a slotted spoon and place into a blender. Purée the squash in the blender.
  4. In the same pan you used to brown the sausage, melt the butter and sauté the onions. Remove from heat and still in flour. 
  5. Add chicken flavoring to broth. Then add squash Purée, sausage, onion mixture, brown sugar, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and black beans. Stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  6. While the soup is simmering, mix together the milk and dry milk. Add the mixture to the soup and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
  7. Spoon soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Enjoy!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...