Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pumpkin Mousse


Photobucket

I'm back to blogging! Before we dig into a new recipe, I feel I must explain my absence from blogging.    I finally sold my house in August. It was great news, but I only had two weeks to pack up and move before my closing date. So, I dropped everything to pack and move. Not able to find a place to live in that short of time, I moved in with my parents. They have been great, but my mom is much more domestic than I am, so it means getting in the kitchen to cook is nearly impossible.

Photobucket


Secondly, I got married! My wedding stuff was jammed into my parent's house and every extra minute was taken up by invite addressing, program construction and centerpiece assembly. Therefore, there was no room or time for crafting.

Photobucket

The wedding is over and today my mom went to a Women of Faith Conference with my sister-in-law, so the kitchen was free! I decided to whip up a recipe from Martha Stewart. As with most Martha recipes, I had to make a few changes to the recipe.

Photobucket

Pumpkin Mousse
1 envelope unflavored powdered gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened pumpkin puree
4 eggs, separated
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp spiced rum
1/2 cup sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream

 Sprinkle gelatin over the cold water and let it set for 5 minutes. Cook the gelatin over medium heat just until the gelatin is dissolved (Do not bring it to a boil). Then let it cool until syrupy . I was a little impatient, so I put the gelatin in the fridge to cool, and it was not cool! I ended up with pumpkin puree sprinkled with little chunks of clear gelatin and had to start over.

Add the gelatin to the pumpkin and whisk together. Then add the egg yolks, syrup, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and rum. Whisk together. Use an electric mixer on medium speed to whip together egg whites and 1/4 cup of sugar until soft peaks form. Fold into the pumpkin mixture.

Whip 1 cup of the cream using a mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold into the pumpkin mixture.

Whip the remaining cream until stiff peaks form. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and mix on low speed. Use to top the pumpkin mousse when you are ready to serve.

Store both the mousse and the whipped topping in the fridge.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by and saying such kind things! Congrats on the marriage and that mousse is looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mouse looks delicious but the raw eggs make me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, I'm in the same boat. This was the first think I've ever made with raw eggs. I absolutely love anything made with pumpkin, so I figured I'd give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...