Sunday, April 10, 2011

When Everything Goes Wrong, Even Dyeing Easter Eggs

It has been one of those weeks - one of those weeks when everything goes wrong. You wonder why your employer bothers to pay you because every decision you make is wrong and everything you touch has a mistake. You wonder why you bother trying to get anything done because checking one thing off the list leads to adding two others. You wonder why every time things start to head in the right direction, they make a turn for the worse.

Photobucket

Yesterday, I decided dyeing Easter eggs was the creative outlet I needed to turn my week around. I had picked out five new techniques I wanted to try and tell you all about them for your own Easter adventures, but in line with the rest of my week, things didn't go as planned.

1. First up was stone Easter eggs from DLTK. You just tie the egg up in a pair of nylons, put it in the dye and let it dry. Easy enough, yet it still didn't turn out as you can see in the image below.

Photobucket

2. Next was something even simpler. Writing on an egg with a white crayon before dyeing. I thought this would be a great way to have the Easter bunny leave a note for kids. However, I ran out of room on the egg for the message I was going to write.

Photobucket

3. Up next was masking. Simply using painters tape to mask off areas of the egg you don't want to dye. I managed to fail at this not once, but three times. At least they got progressively better.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

4. I found a great idea for tissue paper dyed eggs also from DLTK. You dip your egg in water and apply small squares of tissue paper to it. When the squares dry, they fall off, but the coloring remains. I thought I was above the rules and used recycled paper despite the directions saying specifically not to do this. So again, this didn't turn out.

Photobucket

5. Finally, I tried marbleized eggs from Martha Stewart. They don't look anything like Martha's, or marbleized for that matter, but after the previous four, I'll consider these kind of a success.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I don't know I really like the stone one, the yellow ones are great too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...