Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Birdseed Wreath

To welcome spring, I decided to make a little decoration that the birds might enjoy as well. Once the wreath was up on my arbor, I found out that it is going to snow on Saturday and the squirrels liked the wreath much better than the birds.

While it didn't serve by initial intentions, it was easy and a great way to add a little decoration to my arbor before the shrubs start to bloom.

Photobucket

Birdseed Wreath
1 1/2 cups boiling water
8 tablespoons cold water
4 1/4 oz. pkgs. unflavored gelatin
8 cups birdseed

Spray a Bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Mix the gelatin with 8 tablespoons of water; let sit for one minute. Add the boiling water and stir until gelatin dissolves. Combine the gelatin mixture with the birdseed in a large bowl and mix until the birdseed is coated with gelatin. Pour into Bundt pan and press the mixture firmly into the pan.

Place in the refrigerator for four hours until firm. Take the pan out of the refrigerator and let it dry overnight. Turn upside down and tap on the bottom until the wreath releases from the pan.

Photobucket

This post is linked here:

 BWS tips button

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love it! Do the birds like it? Our birdfeeder *somehow* got moldy...so we need an alternative. Maybe I'll give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I wouldn't have thought about gelatin as something to feed the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome craft! I love it - perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a birdseed wreath that I bought at a craft show. The birds loved it....especially the woodpeckers and cactus wrens. It gets pretty hard and the little birds have difficulty but that's the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this but it fell apart after letting it sit out overnight - it was too soft. Any suggestions??? LOVE the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the fridge didn't work, I'd try putting it in the freezer for a few minutes.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...